Monday, October 15, 2007

Blog Action Day

This is a little late in the day to mention this, however I just read about "Blog Action Day" on Kodachrome's blog. I'm about ready to crawl into my snuggly warm bed so I'm not so much into discussion right now (lame cop-out - sorry!), however I just remembered a blog post I was putting together several months ago. (Betsy, if you're reading, this one's for you!)

Homemade Laundry Detergent



I can't remember who to give credit to for this - I've seen it on several "green" blogs since I first found it online . It's truly my favorite detergent. I love the way it smells and it seems to get our clothes (even Flynno's stinky gym clothes) just as clean as any other laundry detergent I've tried. Plus no petroleum base and just a few simple ingredients.

1 cup Washing Soda
1 cup Borax
1 bar Fels Naptha (finely grated)
1/2 cup Oxy Clean (optional) - I didn't use it in mine, however, I throw some in white loads from time to time.

Mix well. Use 1 TBL for smaller loads, 2 TBLS for larger or heavily soiled loads. If I am doing a cold water wash I do run the warm water just for a minute to dissolve everything. I've never had a problem with partially dissolved granules. They seem to do just fine.

This detergent will not suds up. You can really see how much dirt (or fabric dye) is washing out of your clothes with this soap.

The cost is equal to or less than other detergents. The only drawback is the grating of the soap. WEAR RUBBER GLOVES. (Or risk losing some knuckle skin - ouch!) I found all of the ingredients at our QFC (Seattle supermarket - division of Krogers) in the laundry aisle. I've even seen some crafty entrepreneurs put this mix up on etsy and ebay. I put mine in a vintage glass container - but anything that will keep the moisture out will work fine.

The washing soda and borax come in handy for other cleaning around the house too.

For fabric softener I pour some vinegar into the rinse water ( at least when I remember - the clothes don't keep the scent) and we use dryer balls. The dryer balls weren't cheap - $20 at a locally owned pharmacy - I totally got suckered in by a good sales person at the cash register. I guess they work pretty well - the only difference I've noticed is there is no dryer sheet scent. I haven't used a dryer sheet in many months, but we're lucky we don't have such dry heat here in the NW. I'd be curious to see how this works out in my hometown - everything was always so static-y in the winter there.

That's all I got. Scooting off to bed. Over and out.

3 Comments:

Blogger manic hispanic said...

I'm glad you posted this. jamie has been wondering about it after a conversation with you at Daphne's bday extravoganza. now I can make like a Baskin Robbins employee and give him the scoop!

11:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This looks very cool!

7:34 PM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Very cool! I used to make my own laundry soap and I really liked it. I made regular bar soap and then shredded the scraps for laundry soap. I just added some borax and voila! Laundry soap. I've been meaning to make the recipe you posted for awhile--I'm so glad you posted about it!

You know, we stopped using dryer sheets, as well (when we were washing my daughter's diapers) and I have to admit that we haven't missed them. Now I find clothes that are dried with dryer sheets are too "stinky" for me.

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home