Monday, August 13, 2007

Secret Pal 11 Questions

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?

I prefer to knit with natural fibers – either animal fibers or plant fibers. I used to think I didn’t like anything with acrylic in it, but that is not true as Rowan Calmer is high on my list and it is 25% acrylic. One of my favorite yarns is Aurora 8 due to this twist and sproingy-ness.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in? I made a wall hanging for my circular needles and it works great. I have been meaning to make one for my straights and DPs as they are a mess tucked away in a drawer.

3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?

I’ve been knitting for almost four years. I learned the basic knit stitch from a friend one evening before a trip to Whistler. I couldn’t put my needles down for the whole trip! After that, I taught myself the rest of the basics from reading Stitch n Bitch and from watching online videos on www.knittinghelp.com. After I started working in the yarn store I was able to get help on advanced techniques from some real pros. I would say I am intermediate knitter with some good knowledge I hardly ever use for myself.

I learned to knit “mirror” style – I knit from my right to my left needle. This worked great for scarves, hats and any projects where shaping or lace didn’t apply. As you can imagine, it really started causing me problems when I got into sweater knitting and lace knitting where decreases shape the pattern. Everything has to get reversed before I start. I have since learned to knit “right handed” and although I am ok at it, I’m not nearly as fast or as consistent as I am when I knit in my own special way.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? I’m working on putting one together…

5. What's your favorite scent?

I love lilacs and jasmine, however they are hard to get in a bottle. I enjoy clean scents – I have lotion called “Clean Cotton”, which is my favorite and I like citrus scents as well.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?

I love treats, however they are more of the bakery / ice creamy kind. I do love good chocolate.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?

I like to sew, cook, garden, crochet and work on house projects. I dabble with other projects (embroidery, freezer paper stencils, etc.) but they seem to be more one-off projects.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)

I am a music freak. It’s sort of sad that I know the lyrics to practically every popular 70’s and 80’s cheeseball pop, rock and country songs, yet I can’t carry a tune. I could totally be a rock star if I could only sing. I like a wide variety of music – it sort of depends on my mood. Sometimes I’m into ambient and world beat tunes (Thievery Corporation, Morcheeba, Chicane, etc.) and other times I’m into more alternative sounds (Modest Mouse, Beck, Death Cab for Cutie, White Stripes, etc.) When I was in college and through most of my 20’s I was into folksy and rock 60’s – 70’s music – Indigo Girls, Grateful Dead, Paul Simon, Led Zeppelin. Really, I’m into anything with catchy lyrics and good beats – I’m getting a soft spot for Justin Timberlake and his “posse”! I tend to stay away from anything with too much speed or too much scream.


9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?

Reds, Pinks, Blues, Browns, Greens. I like saturated colors and pale colors, but depth is important to me. I’m not a fan of dull colors that looks washed out.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?

Married, no kids, no pets.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?

All but ponchos.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?

Socks, gloves, sweaters, gifty items

13. What are you knitting right now?

A sweater for a shop model, socks, Montego Bay Scarf, test knits for new yarns.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?

Absidoodle!

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?

I’m not that picky about straights or circulars, however if I have circulars they pretty much have to be Addi Turbos or something comparable with a smooth join and no-memory cable. I do most of my knitting on bamboo straights or Addi circs. I love vintage straight and dp aluminum needles and really dig my few pairs of Pony Pearls.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?

Yep – both.

17. How old is your oldest UFO?

I have had a pair of Mrs. Beeton wristlets in my projects bag forever. Maybe 18 months? Maybe longer. I usually rip back anything else I’ve lost steam on. I need to dig out those Mrs. Beetons. I think they are super cute and I don’t know why I haven’t finished them!

18. What is your favorite holiday?

Easter. Just in time for the tulips, daffodils and the freshness of spring.

19. Is there anything that you collect?

Does yarn count? 

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on?

Anything from the popular hand dyers out there – there are so many to choose from. I have a few books so far on my Amazon wish list. I’m curious about the Knit Picks Options needles.

What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?

Interweave and Vogue Knitting.

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?

Entrelac!

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?

Yep – 8 ¾” W x 9” L

23. When is your birthday?

Nov. 5th

24. Are you on Ravelry? If so, what's your ID?

Yep – although I need to do a lot more updating. I’m at knittlesticks.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sock Girl... I've not forgotten you! Great responses.

I'm still in the fog with my office space, but when it's done I'll post photos. Oof. :D

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great meeting you in the shop yesterday. I'm looking forward to reading more of your blog, we seem to have a lot in common.

Check out Anqelique Kidjo for some cool world beat type tunes if you haven't already.

Sam

6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home