Thursday, May 24, 2007

IK Summer 2007 Socks

While I adore the sweater on the Summer 2007 cover, my mind is on SOCKS! I eagerly dove into the article "A Better Sock from the Toe Up". The toe-up sock guide is super helpful and was a great tool in helping me modify the "On Your Toes Socks" to fit the gauge of my yarn. I'm still in progress with the first one - I couldn't wait to finish to show it off!


Pattern: On-Your_Toes Socks (Ann Budd) IK Summer 2007

Yarn: Hazel Knits Artisan Sock, color: Zinnia Bloom

Modifications: My gauge on this yarn is 8 sts, so following the chart, I cast on 12, followed the increasing rules until I was at 60 sts. I'm not sure why I stopped at 60 sts. (actually I do know why - it was a subliminal thing from a conversation I had with a colleague at the yarn store) although it worked out fine. I'll do 64 on the second sock since that is my "regular" number. I also knit to 6.5", however I probably should have knit to 7" for just a little more give. I'm ok with these socks being fraternal twins. It's the process and learning aspect that is most important to me on these socks.

This was my first toe-up. I don't know why I resisted for so long - now that I've done it, this will most likely be my new preferred cast-on for basic socks.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that yarn is ever so smashing! :D

5:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been itching to finally try toe-up! I didn't want to for a while, but the reverse gusset patterns and my most recent too-short-top-down-toe have swayed me to the other side.

6:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I prefer to knit socks from the toe up but most patterns are written cuff down. Great job on yours!

8:58 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

It looks great! That article on toe-ups was the first thing I read in the new IK issue. Can't wait to try it that way.

4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home