Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Fallen Idols?

I don't know what to think about this headline: "Evel Knievel Sues Kanye West Over Video". Evel Knievel is sometimes the butt of jokes however, I hold a special place in my heart for the dude.

ek82a


His Snake River Canyon Jump happened about 20 miles from my parent's house. I was almost 3 years old when he made the attempt to jump the canyon and my mom tells the story about how she inadvertantly drove down "Pole Line Road" only to get caught in a sea of Hells Angels just hours before they started rioting. Back in the early 70's the "Angels" were a group to be feared and my mom was a pretty 23 year old with her little girl in the car when she got caught up in the mayhem of cat-calling bikers. She was already a little jittery - she had been reading the Exorcist. The incident sent her over the edge. She went home, burned the book and stayed in for a week. Oh, the age of innocence... She sort of laughs off the story as she tells it, but always ends with "boy, was I scared."

Every time I hear Evel's named mentioned my ears prick to hear about what he's up to. Usually it's some off the wall thing, but this kinda makes me sad. On one hand, maybe I should feel good that he's sticking up for his "brand". Kanye's folks should have asked permission and had it been denied changed the video so it wasn't so copycat. However, at the same time I'm not sure it sullies his brand - sometimes things like this generate good publicity for the original. By suing, it sorta makes him look like a washed up celebrity. I think he could have turned this situation into a good thing for himself. But now he seems like a cranky old man.
This is the same way I felt when Garrison Keilor sued over this guys t-shirts. Bah.

In other upsetting news this (plus another 3+ inches):

misc0017



became this:

misc0032



I started it for my MIL with Lorna's Shepherd Worsted in Tuscany colorway. Clearly the wrong yarn for the project but I didn't give up hope until my 3rd set of drops. I started a little lacy mitt, but it's silly to waste this variegated yarn on lace. Plus I have 775 yards of it. Any suggestions on what to do with the yarn?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what you should do with it - bring it to my yarn swap! It's on Mercer Island, Feb 18th (probably). Please email me if you're interested. :)
Sharon

4:07 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Oh my good gosh... yes. You have to do SOMETHING awesome with all that LL!! Beautiful colorway. But I know what you're saying about it not feeling like the right colorway or something for... is it Clapotis? I've been just dying to make that pattern for about two years. Soon... oh soon. I'm recycling a cashmere sweater for the project. I'll be so happy to cast on for that baby, yes I will.

In the mean time... have you thought about listing the yarn on the Destash blog? Or are you wanting to keep it to knit into something? A vest? Mmm... Vest Everest? Or... gosh. Kind of an odd quantity. I'd personally keep it. Or knit it into something and then sell the rest on Destash. Hard to part with LL, I would think. :)

6:28 AM  
Blogger Wendee said...

Hi Sharon,
I can't contact you since you're under anonymous! Has your yarn swap date been finalized? Sounds fun!

8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home