Friday, October 13, 2006

The opposite of Eye Candy

Yes, I know - this is bending the Eye Candy Friday rules. But I need a new battery for my camera - it wants to die after every dozen pictures - so you get the pictures of the tragedy of my home. No eye candy here!

First up - my desk.

Good Lord, how do I live with myself? Bear in mind, I've only opted to show you one horizontal surface. I couldn't bring myself to photograph the others in the office. Fortunately I have some motivation to clean this off. Flynno's grandma is coming over tomorrow morning to get help with posting things on e-bay. There's no way this kind of mess can be here when the Grandma K comes to visit!

Next up - my "vegetable drawer". Apparently sometime earlier this year (I have no idea when) I thought it was a good idea to dedicate a drawer in the kitchen to root and hard skinned vegetables. Then, I promptly forgot about it. Before the "dedication" that drawer was for my hubby's snowboarding / recreational snacks (trail mix, jerky, Cliff bars, etc) - he kept the drawer stocked so when he had a spur-of-the-moment chance to go do something fun he could just grab and go. Isn't it weird how time can be just a blur. I have no idea what happened to Flynno's goodie drawer. But I did find this when I was looking for a place to store my huge Trader Joes haul of nuts and dried fruit:

Gah! WTF?

And then finally, there's this:


Which was reduced to this and then this a couple of weekends ago.


There was no question we needed to start over. The soil was so compacted and hard that even in the rainiest season you would find bone-dry dirt just a couple inches down. Rather than till it all under we opted to rent a sod cutter and shave off the top layer. This weekend we are covering it with plastic so it doesn't get weedy (its previous state). Then we'll truck in sand to till into the soil (there's a lot of clay) and then bit by bit over the winter we'll add several inches of compost and topsoil to get it ready for spring planting. What a job! Oh, and everything else in the yard is coming out except for the Japanese maple. The plan is to have much wider planting beds, a fence and less grass. We have our work cut out for us!

1 Comments:

Blogger Megan said...

OH, boy,
you do have your yard cut out for you. Duke and I did this last year, but our back yard is only 400 sq ft. It was a lot of work just in that little area. We were also crazy enough to do it in the winter, including laying a brick patio in the rain. I'll send over some tea, you're going to need it.

12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home